Besuchen Sie uns auf:

History of Kühlungsborn

Kühlungsborn earlier and today

History of Kühlungsborn

Once upon a time a seaside resort...

What glorious times when the ladies were still wearing frilly bathing costumes? By 1880 Brunshaupten, Arendsee and Fulgen accommodated an imposing number of visitors. At that time the first beach paths and single-sex public baths were built. When the connecting path between Brunshaupten and Arendsee – today called Ostseeallee – was opened for development in 1904, the first splendid villas in the “Bäderarchitektur” came into being. Elegant guest houses were offering their well-situated guests an adequate atmosphere to enjoy the best time of the year.

Aktion Rose

A turning point in history took place after World War II. In 1953 many hotels and guesthouses were expropriated due to the “Aktion Rose”. The splendid villas were brought under public control and transformed to vacation homes of the FDGB (Free Federation of German Trade Unions) holiday service.

After German reunification wise city fathers were able to rebuild the historic scene of the old villas (around 1900).

To holiday here was very popular with visitors. But the First World War caused the streams of guests to come to a standstill. However, from 1925 on, the numbers increased visibly. It became established as a resort where families were very welcome. In 1938 Brunshaupten, Arendsee and Fulgen were combined, received the status of a town and the new name “Ostseebad Kühlungsborn”. Hitherto the town of Brunshaupten and Arendsee worked against each other and vied for the attention of guests. Therefore you still can find many buildings twice e.g. concert garden East and West. Until today three flying seagulls in front of a blue background on the city coat of arms symbolise those three old parts.